We are proud to announce that Dr. George L. Mims has been awarded 2018 Alpha Foundation's Man of the Year.
Here are just a few of his accomplishments:
1. He designed a Collage Tour for High School Students to visit 15 to 16 Historical African American Colleges/Universities. HBCU while in working in NY. After moving to Florida, Dr. Mims extended the program to Sarasota and Bradenton.
HBCU college tours are one of the best ways for college-bound high school students and community college students to witness the Black College experience firsthand. Dr. Mims’ program is one of the best college tours for African American students in the United States and abroad.
Stepping in the Right Direction and HBCU Lifestyle Dr. Mims’ program has achieved a goal of exposing 200,000 students to the campuses of HBCUS. Students traveling on the tours can not only expect to get a taste of college life but also receive curriculum information, entrance requirements, financial aid and scholarship resources.
2. He has done one on one mentoring of students in Sarasota for the last 20 years
3. He Developed and Established a Scholarship Program that lead to the creation of the Alpha Phi Alpha Foundation of Manasota, Inc.
4. Established a two district-wide mentoring initiative in Sarasota and Manatee Counties that embraced 15 High and Middle Schools
5. Developed a Two-Day Mentoring Leadership Program for Sarasota & Manatee County High School Male Students that was held at the Day Spring Conference Center. Approximately 100 to 150 male students per year attended the event more than 7 years. Funding shortages ended the program.
Social Service Experts say “Volunteering your service is a great way to spend some of that spare time because it is a chance to give back to the community and have a new experience.
However, it has been known to do much more than just that. Volunteering has been linked with being beneficial improvements to physical health as well as mental health while giving the opportunity to connect with others in a productive way that helps the community.”
Based on the above, Our Alpha Foundation’s Alpha Man of the Year should be the healthiest person in Florida.